Born in: Germany
Primary research category: Economic Geography, Gender Studies, Science and Technology Studies
Research location / employer: University of Bern, Switzerland
Fellowship dates: 2013-2019
- Associate Professor, University of Bern, Switzerland 2018-present
- Assistant Professor, University of St. Gallen, Switzerland 2015-2018
- Postdoc at the Department of Geography, University of Zurich 2013-2015
- PhD in Gender Studies and Human Geography, Interdisciplinary Centre for Gender Studies and Department of Geography, University of Bern 2008-2012
- Undergraduate studies in Human Geography, Sociology and Latin American Studies, University Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany 2001-2007 and Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, Quito 2007
The project investigates how markets of assisted reproduction expand towards the Global South. Studying the emerging market of reproductive tourism, the research aims to capture the making and geographical spread of fertility markets in the Global South. Through ethnographic research, the project follows the transnational circulation and traveling of bodies, reproductive materials, technologies, knowledge, and socio-technical devices that constitute and transnationalize this market. This transnational focus will shed light on the economic, political and social challenges emerging markets of assisted reproduction face in the Global South.
- First researcher studying the emergence, rise and expansion of the surrogacy market in Mexico as well as the global shifts of the fertility industry through a multi-sited ethnography.
- Establishing the field of reproductive geographies which studies how globalisation and digitalisation alter our reproductive lives.
- Contributing to the field of feminist geographies by showing how the global and the intimate are closely entangled.
- Developing affectual methodologies to capture emotions and affects in qualitative empirical research.
- Informing policy debates in Mexico and Europe around questions of transnational assisted reproduction.
- Ashby Prize for the most innovative paper in the journal EPA: Economy and Society in the year 2018
- Publication award for the most downloaded paper in the journal Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers in the year 2018
- Prize of the Swiss Latin American Society for the best doctoral thesis, 2013
- Visiting Fellowship at the Department of Geography, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA 2013
- Research Grant Swiss National Research Foundation 2009-2012
- Visiting Fellowship at the Department of Geography, University of British Columbia, Canada 2010
- Scholarship German Academic Exchange Service 2004-2005