Born in: USA
Primary research category: Biomedical Sciences
Research location / employer: Department of Health and Exercise Science, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, USA
Fellowship dates: 2011-2016
- Assistant Professor, tenure-track, Colorado State University, July 2018-present
- Adjoint Assistant Professor, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, July 2018-present
- Assistant Research Professor, Integrative Physiology Department, University of Colorado Boulder, July 2015-2018
- PhD, Molecular Metabolism and Nutrition, University of Chicago, 2010
- Bachelor degree in Neuroscience and Psychology, Brandeis University,<br>USA ,1998-2002
Dr. Josiane Broussard is interested in understanding the role of sleep and circadian regulation in metabolic homeostasis. Specifically, our team studies how sleep and circadian disruption impair metabolic tissues and whether improving timing of behaviors can improve metabolic health.
- Observed an approximate 30% reduction of cellular insulin sensitivity in adipocytes from subcutaneous fat collected in healthy young lean adults after insufficient sleep.
- Demonstrated that experimental sleep restriction in healthy young lean men results in an increase in nocturnal NEFA levels, suggesting that insufficient sleep plays an important role in lipid metabolism at multiple levels.
- Established strong epidemiologic evidence suggesting that reduced sleep duration is associated with an increased risk for obesity and weight gain.
- Demonstrated that sleep restriction increased 24-hour ghrelin as compared to normal sleep.
- Found a potential mechanism by which sleep loss may lead to increased food intake and the development of weight gain.
- R01 from the National Institutes of Health, 2020-2025
- Colorado Pilot Program (CO-Pilot) Mentored Faculty Award, 2018
- Nominated for the Helmholtz Young Investigator Diabetes Award (HelDi Award), 2017
- Colorado Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) Pilot and Feasibility Award, 2017
- Center for Women’s Health Research Faculty Research Development Award, 2017
- NIH/NIDDK Mentored Research Scientist Development Award, 2016
- University of Colorado Vice Chancellor of Research Innovative Seed Grant Award, 2016
- Sleep Research Society Foundation CDA, 2015.
- Sleep Research Society Young Investigator Award, 2013